Based on questions we have received over the years here are some important facts about decks and maintenance required.
1. Material-Most residential decks are built using pressure treated pine (PT) – pressure treated wood is relatively inexpensive and offers protection from fungus and insect damage. If you don’t clean and seal PT wood it will grey, dry out, and inevitably need to be replaced.
2. Oil Based Stains – We recommend oil based stains as the oils condition the wood as well as provide “color” to protect wood from greying. Klean Kings primarily uses penetrating based oil stains.
3. Semi-transparent vs Solid – We recommend semi-transparent stains, meaning color is applied but you can still see the wood grain. Solid stains are like paint, we usually don’t recommend these because once a solid stain is applied, the natural wood state cannot be returned. Semi-Transparent stains work best when considering long term maintenance. Solid stain is labor intensive and expensive to remove. We have also seen solid stains cause wood rot from not being able to breathe.
4. When should you stain a new deck? – As soon as it is dry, usually 3-6 months after being installed. In order to ensure maximum penetration and coverage, we use a moisture meter test all wood prior to staining.
5. Deck maintenance, how often? – We have found staining a deck every 18-20 months is the best way to keep your deck. NO stain lasts forever!
We have years of experience cleaning, restoring and maintaining decks. We know what works and what doesn’t.
Klean Kings Pressure Washing & Wood Restorations provides deck cleaning, staining, and maintenance in Maryland and surrounding areas. Our trained and experienced Restorations Specialists are ready to assist you with all your pressure washing needs.
Contact us today to request an estimate or to inquire about your pressure washing or deck restoration project.